segunda-feira, 24 de agosto de 2015

"When slattern Time, worn out with toil of wearing / Quando o Tempo esquecido, gasto a lutar", de Fernando Pessoa

When slattern Time, worn out with toil of wearing,
With loose‑tied pack shall trudge upon my years,
And I shall feel that forced occasion nearing
That despair's self (that must live to be) fears,

I, being beggared of all wealth of hope -
So prodigal have I to wishes been -
Shall with known uselessness for the coin grope
To pay that the hour’s ending be serene.

I shall not enter the great silent cave
With curious ardour, or ease out of sun,
But all that with me I shall then still have
Will be a coward rage that all is done.

No hope the cave's a passage shall control
Fear of the immediate night of the shown hole.

* * *

Quando o Tempo esquecido, gasto a lutar,
Com seu fardo solto a custo vier,
E eu sentir a fatal hora chegar
E o temor (pois sem vida não é) de ser,

Eu, do bem da esp'rança sendo mendigo -
Embora tão pródigo no desejar -
Buscarei a moeda, inútil já digo,
Com que um fim sereno possa pagar.

Na funda cova silente entrarei
Sem estar curioso ou do sol cansado,
Mas tudo o que então comigo terei
É raiva cobarde por tudo acabado.

O crer que a cova é passagem não detém
O medo da noite que do fundo vem.

(in Poemas Ingleses. Vol. II; trad. Luísa Freire, ed. Planeta DeAgostini/Assírio & Alvim, 2006)

Sem comentários: